Wednesday, December 10, 2008

CHRISTmas w/friends

The boys wondered when we were having cake for Jesus' birthday. Although it sounds like scholars now put His birth sometime in June, we're okay with sticking with the traditional December celebration. We had a couple friends over this morning for some play time, a project, and lunch - a birthday party for Jesus, minus the song.




The kids made holly wreaths from paper plates. Admittedly the highlight was probably the glue sticks (its not chapstick Naomi), but I did research some deeper meaning. Holly was traditionally hung over the door of a home in which the birth of Christ was celebrated. The evergreen symbolizes hope, the return of longer days, and the eternal life of Christ. And of course, a wreath, a complete circle, symbolizes His unending love for us. Legend tells that Christ's crown of thorns was made of holly. The berries were white until his blood forever stained them red. Didn't share the last piece with the children, as my elder child has some issues with "bleeding blood".

All the while the moms tried with futility to sustain complete conversations. But I gathered between trips to the potty with a 2 year old and runs to break up intense wrestling matches, we were saddened that some pretend Jesus isn't acting in their lives and that some don't think they need Him. How could I celebrate Christmas without believing in Jesus? Some time off work, some time off school, good sales, eating too much, ... isn't there more too it than that?

2 comments:

Michelle R said...

Looks like a lovely party! What a wonderful celebration for Jesus! I love that you researched the Holly and wreaths as well. I never knew that before!
Thanks for sharing, glad everyone had fun!

Annette said...

What a great celebration, loved reading about the wreaths.