Saturday, March 28, 2009

mr. appleseed, part 2



I did not allow myself to daydream too long on growing an apple tree from seed. And I do realize that little sprout has a long way to go before we can consider it an actual tree.

We did follow the directions exactly - the damp time in the fruit drawer of the refrigerator. Potting it just so. Keeping it watered, somewhat warm, and somewhat in the sun.

When we returned from our trip to NY and Penn our neighbor (it actually emerged under her care) carefully walked it over to our house. We were a little shocked. Days later the second seedling emerged. I know I'm suppose to clip so as not to disturb the roots, but I might try to pull it and plant in another pot.

Our property does not currently have the space for all the trees that are presenting started. Some like the 5 foot tall oak we received at Greenfield Village almost 5 years ago (it was barely a foot then) will not have enough room to grow. Nor will some of the evergreen we've found sprouting and have babied to toddlerhood.

I'm getting ahead of myself. Lets see if this little tree(s) can survive beyond its 4" pot. As green as my thumb may be outside, its all black when it comes to four solid walls and a roof.

You can see in the background our neice, Mia, and nephew, Ian. Their mom gave us the tree starting set for Christmas!

1 comment:

Michelle R said...

go tree, go! what a sweet picture!