Thursday, December 11, 2008

granola

I've been disappointed in the past with the results of homemade granola. But eureka, I've found it! Searching through old Vegetarian Times for something new, the recipe "crunchy fruity granola" w/the photo of a happy child caught my eye. Will it be like the others? Will I be mad at myself for using good raw ingredients to make something so lousy?

No and no. Oh my, it is wonderful. To be honest, I added a handful of shredded, unsweetened coconut, a handful of each wheat and oat bran, and ground flax seed. For seeds, I've used salted sunflower and unsalted pepitas each time. One batch contained dried pineapple, raisins, and pecans. I've also used chopped, dried apples and mixed nuts. The most recent one contained dried cherries and walnuts - a Michigan mix! Some of my nutritionally wise friends use coconut oil instead of vegetable, canola,... in recipes. As soon as I pick some up I'm going to try the granola with it.

The boys love it on oatmeal, cottage cheese, and yogurt. They also like it just as a snack. They look a little like the happy boy in the magazine!

A word of caution, keep an eye on it in the oven. You'll be sorely disappointed if it burns. Not sure how it stores b/c it hasn't sat around here too long.

So much better than ANY store bought granola I've ever had. And I'm big on granola. Try it and let me know!

2 comments:

Annette said...

sounds great and I love granola - I eat it practically every morning for breakfast. Can you forward the recipe?

sarah said...

click on "crunchy fruity granola" and it'll take you to the vegetarian times recipe. LEt me know if it doesn't work for you.